Tuesday, February 16, 2010

His and Hers Closets

Thanks for all your constructive input from yesterday's post. I was pretty sure I needed another row of decorative plaques on this wall. But the opinions of my dear sweet readers really sealed the deal! Off to the craft store I went this morning to get 3 more wood plaques. Now this collage of handmade art looks more finished. I am even ok with the fact that it comes above the door frame. That very well may be the lazy girl in me talking, but for now...I'm good...it stays! Maybe I'll just get taller accessories (hahaha).



I decided to add one more decorative detail to this wall. I cut labels out of black vinyl with my Cricut and added the words "his" and "hers" in white vinyl. Love it!


Now if I could only get the inside of these closets to be as cute as their labels!
Uhhhhhggggg.
That is a project in and of itself...one day.



Every time I take pictures of this room I think of a few more details I could add or another project I could do to make it even better.
I. have. a. problem.



Right this minute I am obsessing over the hideous brass doorknobs throughout my house. But especially the ones in this room. I wish I could go out and buy new doors and knobs to replace the ones I have now from 1975. But that is soooooo far down on the list, it's not even funny. I have an idea of how I'm going to revamp these garish brass knobs without having to take them off the door (lazy). Now to find the time....



Remember last night when I said I was finishing one wall at a time, which probably led you to believe this wall was finished??? Ummmmmmm, yeah.....see those missing drawers in the dresser? I started painting this dresser a few months back and HATED it. I have been waiting for some inspiration to hit on this one...and it took a while. But I finally have it, and it is fanfreakingtastic. I ordered the supplies I need for this project last night and cannot wait till they get here. Think faux mirrored dresser meets gilded metal finish, with a bit of distressing. Dreamy!!!



29 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

Love the "his" and "hers"...cute...

Becky said...

I just read this:
http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2010/02/orb-love.html
and I'm going to try some of the KYRON ORB on the brass knobs in our place. The only problem I could see if the paint wears off (on our hands).
I'll probably do it in a month or so - I'll let you know what happens.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Amanda - how cute is your bedroom? I LOVE it!!! So beautiful! And I love the 9 plaques - it looks perfect.

I love the his and hers too. Amazing!!! I just think you are the best!

XOXO
Jen

Richella Parham said...

Definitely 9 plaques. Way to go.

You know, those brass door knobs are probably only noticeable to you.

Faux mirrored meets gilded metal? What do you have up your sleeve?? Can't wait to see!

Love you!

By the way, are "His" and "Hers" the same size?

Miss Obara said...

Much better. Super cute idea on the His and Her closets. As far as the knobs....i've heard if you use oven cleaner on the brass....it will 'age' it. I plan on doing this with some old lamps I have that are trimmed w/brass. I'll have to update my blog when it's done!
Your room is coming together nicely!

southerninspiration said...

Looks perfect.....love the his and hers, and your bedroom is simply adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!

suzanne

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Looks good, Amanda! Love the His and Hers. I can't wait to see the drawers! Don't you love when that fantastic idea hits.

Kelly said...

love your plaques! did you use scrapbook paper or fabric? anyway they look great above your dresser:)

A Southern Rose said...

It looks wonderful! I love the 'his' and 'her' signs too. I'm going to Hobby Lobby today! I'm so excited! We don't have one here so when I get to go, it's a real treat. Now I'm trying to make a list of things that I've been wanting to try for a while. I don't want to forget anything! LOL

I think I will be going back through your blog to see what I need. LOL

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

P.S. We are going to the one in Hammond.

Heather Henderson said...

the three extra plaques makes all the difference. and i love the height you added to the wall with them and the labels.

your teaser has got me really excited to see your dresser!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

If those (admittedly icky) brass knobs are the biggest of you worries in that room, then I'd say you are set! ;) I think your room looks fab!! I have hideous brass door knobs on all of our 1970s doors too, and it drives me nuts. I wish we could afford to get all new doors. ;)

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

I'm loving the room. I have a Toile bedding set.

Unknown said...

Amanda,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I think your room looks just like Ballard Design bedrooms. Your amazing, keep up the good work.
Can't wait to see what you do with your dresser.
Brooke

More than a Mom said...

Amazing. Simply amazing! I swear everything you do is FABULOUS!

Jo said...

The 3rd row really makes it! great job

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

So perfectly done to add some color to your black and white bedroom. I LOVE it! And I'm there with you on the brass door knobs. Last Christmas that is what I asked for from Santa!

Unknown said...

It looks just beautiful. The his and her is just the right whimsical touch. I look at your post yesterday too, the scrapbook panels are great, would you think about moving the third row to the bottom, making it closer to the dresser, sort of making the eye move right from dresser to panels with no break (bonus...they wouldn't be above the door height) :) You are jsut a creative inspiration!

Kristina P. said...

Your bedroom is so nice!

Stefanie said...

love the "His" and "Hers".....and i TOTALLY understand about the brass doorknobs. ugh. still have a ton to replace in our house too, and like you said, it is so far down the list :(

Unknown said...

Looks beautiful! Can't wait to see what you do with the dresser :)

Tammy@InStitches said...

Hi Amanda, I love what you have done so far. I'm going to follow you so I can see what you do to the dresser. It sounds wonderful !

Nadir @ Hodgepodge said...

I love the his & hers closets!!! And the wall plaques look awesome! The room seems to be coming along great, good luck on finishing it all just the way you like it. :-)

Unknown said...

Love it, love it, love it. I think that your curtains are the same fabric as the border on my drop cloth curtains in the family room! Great minds think alike, they say. :)

FrouFrouBritches said...

Yep. The third row looks GREAT! Love the His and Hers and your curtains are DIVINE! Can't wait to see the dresser!

Tausha said...

so...you are going to hold out on us and not giving us any clues. Not even an idea of the supplies. Your a punk! :)
I hate my dresser too, I need some inspiration!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Love the "his" & "hers"! Such a cute idea!!
Blessings,
Stacey

Cherish @ My Cup of Tea said...

Beautiful bedroom!!!!!!!!

Hey, so I completely made over my blog. You should take a second look!! Thanks!
www.cherishscupoftea.blogspot.com
((Don't forget to follow))
{{I'm already a follower of yours}}

monkeyDluffy198625 said...

Closet space is always a challenge no matter how large the space. If you have the budget it is worth hiring a local carpenter to redo your closets with wood partitions and even drawers.

closet organizing Chicago

Misty Cee said...

I love the idea to do "his" and "hers" closets! The pictures you posted are just amazing. I hope I can be artsy like that some day. I have a little boy and girl that are sharing a room and I wish I could do this to their room, but they only have one closet.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin